This past year saw an explosion of new businesses in Downtown Alameda — plenty of new restaurants, bakeries, craft spaces, personal services, and business services. It seemed there was always a new surprise appearing around the corner. The last few months of the year were no different.
We eagerly waited for the new bakery to open as an extension of Mama Papa Lithuania. We also waited with anticipation to see what was happening behind the brown papered windows of the former yogurt shop on Santa Clara Ave.
But one of the biggest surprises was the sudden closure of longtime independent shop Scott’s Shoes back in October. Thankfully we didn’t have to say goodbye to owner Scott Erwin. Instead he was proud to announce that family friends were taking over the Park Street location and he would remain as the local manager for Sole Desire Shoes.
Help us welcome the newest businesses to Alameda’s historic Park Street district. Stop by and say “hello” to these folks the next time you’re in Downtown Alameda.
Hot Spot Soup Place, 2321 Santa Clara Ave
* Taiwanese cafe offering hot soups (hot pots), tea drinks, and shaved ice.
Kimbu Ventures / Shaabi Denim, 1516 Oak Street #320
* On-line catalog featuring limited-production clothing handmade with high-quality, tough fabrics.
Mama Papa Lithuania Bakery, 1239 Park Street
* Traditional and modern pastries handcrafted from the Lithuanian in-house-chef’s cookbook.
Psychtools Psychology Group, 1402 Park Street #G
* Therapy that helps you better manage painful life issues setting personally meaningful goals.
Sole Desire Shoes, 1330 Park Street #B
* Independent women’s fashion comfort footwear and accessories, including hard-to-find brands.
Suzanne Hayne, LMFT, 1516 Oak Street #314-315
* Experienced therapist providing couples and individual counseling.
T4, 1431 Park Street #A
* Taiwanese premium teas and smoothies made with natural ingredients; large selection of snacks.
New Associate Member:
SpeedPro Imaging East Bay, 1734 Clement Ave — grand opening January 15
* Providing large format printing: signs, banners, window/wall/floor graphics, vehicle wraps, and more.
Symmetry Health Center, 1708 Park Street #103
* Advanced chiropractic care, weight loss management, massage therapy, and personal training.
In the Works:
Homeskillet, 1363 Park Street — grand opening Jan. 15
i-Tea, 1626 Park Street
Town Tavern, 1437 Park Street
Vietnam House, 1527 Park Street
As mentioned, there were many more downtown businesses that got their start in 2015. Visit our new website to see the list of all the new businesses: www.DowntownAlameda.com/New-Business
If you know of a business that is not listed, please give the Downtown Association office a call at (510) 523-1392.
Grand Opening Celebration: SpeedPro Imaging
SpeedPro Imaging of Alameda invites the community to join them for their grand opening celebration on Friday, January 15. Mayor Trish Spencer will lead the festivities with a special ribbon cutting at 1:00pm followed by locally catered food and drink being provided until 8:00pm. There will also be plenty of door prizes.
Whether you are an individual in need of a special event banner or a business wanting to make an impression with a colorful graphics, SpeedPro Imaging is your place for “great big graphics.” Come see what they can provide for you… SpeedPro Imaging of Alameda is located at 1734 Clement Ave.
# # #
You’ll always find great food & drink establishments, charming shops, friendly services, and fun things to do in Downtown Alameda! To learn more about the businesses and events in Downtown Alameda, visit our new website: www.DowntownAlameda.com.